About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. (2012)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
00:59:59

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 50002

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 10, John F. Kennedy 3, Piers 2, Aaron Jackson 2, Citi 2, Bum 2, Carolyn 2, Heidi Samuel 2, Haiti 2, Alabama 2, Florida 2, Louisiana 2, America 2, Jfk Jr. 2, Lou 1, Heidi 1, Alzheimer 1, United Nations 1, Ha Ha Ha 1, Bp 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business.  (2012)  

    January 27, 2012
    9:00 - 9:59pm PST  

9:00pm
newspapers, boom, to 4g broadband consumption. so i think mobile in asia and india is going to be primary. >> thanks very much, appreciate both of you taking the time. >> thanks for having us. >> thanks for coming "outfront" tonight, seal opens up as he's never done before about heidi klum. >> my love for her has not waned one iota. >> the breakup. >> you try and search for the reasons why, but they just don't add up. >> the rumors about his temper. >> i'm not going to sit here and lie to you they don't get animated, but having a volcanic temperature, screaming at my wife or my children is really hurtful. >> and will he try to win back one of the most beautiful women in the world? >> you can never say never, i'm
9:01pm
not going to sit here and b.s. you and tell you we haven't had problems. of course we have had problems, otherwise why are we splitting up? >> seal with an emotional interview starts right now. he said he would come on and talk about it. first off, seal, thank you for honoring your commitment to come on the show. many people in your position would have ducked it, cancelled it. you've come to face the music, quite literally. and i appreciate that. but why have you decided to face the music? >> coming from you, piers that
9:02pm
means a great deal to me and i thank you for being so gracious. and a moment ago you came into my dressing room when you really didn't need to and expressed your heart felt sympathy. >> you know what? not much shocks me. when this story broke, i was not only shocked, but i was sad. i have known you on and off for a long time. not great friends, but i have known you. i got to know you wife, heidi, she's been on the show. and she talked so eloquently and passionate about your marriage just a month ago. you seemed the epitome of the unconventional happy couple. you renewed your vows every we're with a ceremony and so on. i just never saw this coming. i think a lot of people think wow, how could this have happened to them? >> i think you've hit the name on the head.
9:03pm
and you're right, my wife is the most fantastic woman i have ever met. she is wonderful in so many respects and she's given me four incredible gifts which were far beyond my dreams. but, you know, you just grow apart. it just happens. and you try and -- you try and search for the reasons why. but they just don't add up and you're absolutely right, and i can understand when you saya you were shocked, because you could include me certainly in that group of people who were shocked and i have always believed that and i have always said, you know, to my wife that we had it all.
9:04pm
or that we have it all. and you talked about unconventional. we met eight years ago when she was three weeks pregnant and she said to me, well, i'm pregnant, because i sensed something was wrong. and my first reaction was, wow, that was quick. and she looked at me and she said, not with you, stupid. and i thought about it. and i had about a seven-second pause. and i thought about it, she must think the world of me to even be here with me. to which i replied after the initial shock, you know, it doesn't really change anything for me, it doesn't change the way i'm feel right now, i feel on top of the world. and then of course we had what we like to refer to the united nations in children. we have a beautiful blond haired
9:05pm
blue eyed 7-year-old and she pretty much owns my heart. and we have this 6-year-old son who looks like i spat him out, he looks so much like me, as much as i try not to admit that. and we have this little boy who's a kind of mixture of both of us. and then we have this beautiful 2-year-old called lou. we had everything. >> let me play a little clip from my interview with heidi, which was very recent . i want to know what your reaction is? >> i just think that we love each other, we have fun with eacher, we respect each other, i let him do his thing even though that's hard for me sometimes because i'm like, i'm not sure that i like that song, are you sure? and i have to zip it up sometimes. and you know the years that you are together. i learned that you have to let him do his creative thing because i am quite bossy in my
9:06pm
industry and i say too many thing to i try to hold back. but he does his thing and i do my thing and we spend a lot of time where each other. >> i was very impressed by heidi, she's an incredibly -- she's everything as you would say that you could possibly wish for in a woman. and the way she talked about you. she told me the story of how you first met and how you proposed in this igloo on top of a mountain. and the more she talked about you, the more animated she became. when i say i was shocked, i was really shocked. >> it doesn't make sense. >> i suppose what i'm getting at, does it really make sense to you. >> i don't know if any of it makes sense. i touched upon this thing earlier about having it all.
9:07pm
it is how can two people who have it all, as i described, have the careers, have the love for each other, have the beautiful family, have the respect and the honor and the friendship for each other, how can it all of a sudden take a left turn? so, no, it doesn't really make sense and i suppose that the biggest question and i appreciate the in fact you're being respectful, the biggest question that people are asking, why, there must be one incident, there must be one thing that, you know, they were keeping a secret or maybe there was -- you know, maybe something happened, or maybe she did something or i did something. the truth of the matter is, and i can tell you most sincerely, is that it wasn't any one particular thing, which is why we are managing to stay so
9:08pm
civil. >> the rumor mill is alive. we're in the world of twitter, of facebook, everybody thinks they know why you two split up and the reality is probably a lot more mundane than anything that's on twitter. one of the things is that seal had an anger problem. >> i saw online that i had a volcanic temper. whilst i don't care what is written about me, whether it's good or bad. we have four responsibilities, we have four children and our first priority and our first concern is shielding them from as much of the outside negativity in this world of new media that we can do. so i wanted to look at this. and i read this thing about having a volcanic temper.
9:09pm
of course as i said before, people want to sensationalize things and that's just the nature of the business. and one of the clips they showed was of me shouting. in actual fact, i don't even think i was shouting, but i raised my voice at a reporter. and it was an incident where we were walking through an airport in los angeles and i had my son and my daughter on either hand and we were swarmed by about, i don't know, anywhere from 15 to 20 paparazzis in the airport. and one of them hit my son in the head with a camera lens. and honestly, piers, i don't know anyone, man or woman, any parent who will not react when you see your child being hit and holding his head by a camera
9:10pm
lens. and i honestly said something to the reporter. and then of course i become the angry stereotype. i become the angry rock star with a hot temper. >> because i don't think you are at all. not that i know you as well as many people. >> i'm not going to sit here and lie to you they don't get animated and i'm not opinionated, but having a volcanic temper, raising my voice or screaming, or screaming at my wife or my children or that being the reason for a breakup, whilist, you know, that's like water off a duck's back for me. but it's hurtful to me that my kids, you know, because that's the priority here. it's heidi and i going our separate ways is one thing.
9:11pm
but it's really hurtful that our kids may come across that piece of information which just isn't true because you know as kids you start asking yourself, well, did i miss something? are mama and papa not telling me something? but that's the nature of our industry. we chose that life. you know, it's entertainment, it's different now than when you and i both started. we do live in this age of new media. people sensationalize to sell things and it's just what you have to deal with. >> just hold that thought for a moment and let's pick up on that after the break. when we come back, the question that everybody's asking, could heidi and seal get back together. jfk jr. and his wife carolyn, a fairy tail interrupted.
9:12pm
vacations are always wasn'ta good ideaa ♪ priceline negoti - - no time. out quickly. you're miles from your destination. you'll need a hotel tonight we don't have time to bid you don't have to bid. at priceline you can choose from thousands of hotels on sale every day. save yourself... some money
9:13pm
this was the gulf's best tourism season in years. all because so many people wanted to visit us... in louisiana. they came to see us in florida... nice try, they came to hang out with us in alabama... once folks heard mississippi had the welcome sign out, they couldn't wait to get here. this year was great but next year's gonna be even better. and anyone who knows the gulf knows that winter is primetime fun time. the sun's out and the water's beautiful. you can go deep sea fishing for amberjack, grouper and mackerel. our golf courses are open. our bed and breakfast have special rates. and migrating waterfowl from all over make this a bird watcher's paradise. so if you missed it earlier this year, come on down. if you've already been here come on back... to mississippi... florida... louisiana... alabama. the gulf's america's get-a-way spot no matter where you go. so come on down and help make 2012
9:14pm
an even better year for tourism on the gulf. brought to you by bp and all of us who call the gulf home. when it comes to home insurance, surprises can be a little scary. and a little costly. that's why the best agents present their clients with a lot of options. because when it comes to what's covered and what's not, nobody likes surprises. [ click ] [ chuckles ] we totally thought -- [ all scream ] obscure space junk falling from the sky? we cover that. moving on. aah, aah, aah, aah. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪ ♪ i belong to you ♪ i belong to you ♪ and you belong to me >> do
9:15pm
you think it's irreparable? there's a song on the album, "let's stay together". >> do i think it's irreparable? heidi samuel, as i like to call her. she actually is heidi samuel, but for obvious reasons she's still heidi klum. without question, she's the most incredible woman i have ever met in my entire life. she has incredible strength and incredible resilience. i would like to think that i learned to be a better man. in being with her, my love for her has not waned one iota. and i do, i love her with all my heart, how can you not love
9:16pm
somebody? >> this is making me even sadder. >> how can you not love somebody that you have just spent eight years with? how can you just -- maybe some malicious thing, he's still wearing his wedding ring and he's doing it for show or whatever, well, i'm still wearing my wedding ring because i'm still married to this incredible woman and you don't all of a sudden from one day to the next just say i hate -- unless you are those type of people, you don't from one day to the next say i hate you and take off your wedding ring. what this means to me and what it stands for, it stands for respect, it stands for loyalty. it stands for incredible memories and it stands for these four little miracles. and heidi, making five, that have come into my life in the past eight years. >> you'll say it stands for at
9:17pm
the moment possibly unfinished business? >> yes, back to your question, is it irreparable? you can never say never. obviously i can't speak for my wife, and, again, i'm not going to sit here and b.s. you and tell you we haven't had problems. of course we have had problems, otherwise why are we splitting up. i mean this is not a charade. we have problems, we have issues. but in our favorite, i think that -- or to our credit, we have always been able to talk about them, we have always been able to confront each other and i always used to say to my wife, you know, the thing that i love most about us, because to assume that no couple, that any couple goes without arguing or having a difference of man is just nonsense. but i always used to say to my
9:18pm
wife, that the thing that i loved most about us is that we are a team. and that we are unpenetratable in that sense. it doesn't matter what happens behind closed doors, when we are out and about, and in fact when we have had our disagreements even when we were in the house. i can look at you when there are -- that's what we have always been able to do. and that won't change. and whether we get back together or not, it may happen, i can't speak for her. >> would you like it to? >> would i like it to?
9:19pm
>> i don't know. i don't know at this point to be honest, piers. i think, you know, again, if it were that easy, if there weren't problems, we would still be together, thagt the reality. and i think that we released that statement because we wanted to handle this as civilly and as -- with as much dignity and self-respect and honor as possible. so there is no need to go into detail as to why we actually split up. but i will answer your question by saying that i don't know. i don't know right now because if i did know, i would say no or yes. as simple as that sounds. i would say that, yes, i hope we get back together.
9:20pm
but in another sense, we will always be together. yes, who knows what will happen, we are going to separate. we may become legally separated. who knows if it makes either of us happy, we may even become divorced. and i can't look into the future, but i can say that we will always be the greatest of friends. we will always be bound together for life because we have produced the things that i am most proud of, more so than anything i have achieved in my career. >> let's have a little break and come back and talk about these proud things your life, your wonderful children and also your childhood. which is very difficult and possibly very inspirational to the way you led your life, in good and bad ways. >> right. ♪ he was a 21st century global nomad ♪
9:21pm
♪ home was an airport lounge and an ipad ♪ ♪ made sure his credit score did not go bad ♪ ♪ with a free-credit-score-dot-com ♪ ♪ app that he had ♪ downloaded it in the himalayas ♪ ♪ while meditating like a true playa ♪ ♪ now when he's surfing down in chile'a ♪ ♪ he can see when his score is in danger ♪ ♪ if you're a mobile type on the go ♪ ♪ i suggest you take a tip from my bro ♪ ♪ and download the app that lets you know ♪ ♪ at free-credit-score-dot-com now let's go. ♪ vo: offer applies with enrollment in freecreditscore.com™.
9:22pm
and it hasn't been going exactly as planned. cut. cut! [ monica ] i thought we'd be on location for 3 days -- it's been 3 weeks. so i had to pick up some more things. good thing i've got the citi simplicity card. i don't get hit with a fee if i'm late with a payment...
9:23pm
which is good because on this job, no! bigger! [ monica ] i may not be home for a while. [ male announcer ] the new citi simplicity card. no late fees. no penalty rate. no worries.
9:24pm
if i need to connect with god, i always look at this thing i hold around my neck. but if you look right here, that's four examples of god. on the reverse side, that's another one.
9:25pm
and there's another one. and there's yet another one. >> that was a documentary film. your kids must mean more than anything else to you in the world. so this must wrench you. you had this awful situation where your mother gave you away and then she actually got you back? >> she did get me back. when i was born, we were given up to foster parents. it's just a b.s. way of saying adoption. you can't deal, you don't have to go through the papers. one of the things you know very quickly as a parent is that you do the best you can. if it's not good enough, it's just not good enough.
9:26pm
four years of my life i lived with white foster parents who treated me -- and i emphasize the fact that they were white because i was the only black kid in that neighborhood. but i was never to feel so. because they had four kids of their own and those were the most important years of my childhood because they -- it was that harmony that i would constantly refer back to because my life after that, my biological mother came to take me when i was four years old. it was a strange woman who i had never seen before. >> do you remember that moment? >> i remember that moment very, very well. because i remember she -- i remember screaming all the way home on the bus to brickston which was where she was living with her new boyfriend. i remember exactly where i was
9:27pm
sitting on the bus. and i don't remember much from that part of my childhood because of course it was quite traumatic and dysfunctional after that that you tend to block a lot of it out. but i remember exactly. i remember the face of the conductor, i remember her face, i remember exactly where i was sitting on the bus and i remember screaming all the way home. i didn't get on with her. that was it. i didn't like this woman. two years later, this strange man that i had never seen before who was my father -- >> your biological father? >> my biological father. and i went to live with him and my stepmother who i loved dearly. that was pretty much when the hell started. i was thrashed every day of my life from the age of 6 to 15
9:28pm
when i wrote -- >> by your father? >> yes. and i wrote a note under my pillow that night and i ran away from home at 15. >> when you say thrashed, how? >> my father used to -- my father used to -- he used to -- there was one point where my father cut up six what must be -- must have been meter length pieces of twine, some things that you hang the curtain up with because i had been suspended from school. i will say that i wasn't the easiest child at school. >> why should you be, after all this? >> well, when you have kids, you
9:29pm
realize that it's not the easiest gig in the world, but, yes, you're absolutely right, for all intents and purposes, i was a child. and my father thrashed me -- he broke every single one of those until i was so badly blistered and beaten that i couldn't leave the house for two weeks because surely someone from social service would have stopped me and said how did you get those? but when i left home, and the reason i left home at the age of 15 was because my father had come home one day and in a terrible mood, something had happened, i don't know what it was. and he took it out on me, but he beat me in a very different way this time. he took his fist and he punched me to the ground as though he were punching a man of his own
9:30pm
size. and so i was homeless at 15, i slept in the -- i used to hide in the underground. i used to hide at queens park station under ground until, you know, they do the final search and -- because that was the only warm place and i would sleep in the underground, i slept in homeless shelters on friend's floors. and i blamed him for many, many, many years. he showed me everything that i must never be. every single day of those 6 to 15 years, i vowed i would never, ever be like my father. >> is that one of the reasons why when you get smeared with this volcanic temperature thing, it really annoys you because actually the last thing you
9:31pm
would be is like that. because of the way you were brought up. >> no, the reason is, is that i don't want my kids to ever see that. you know, it's one thing heidi and i having our differences, but i don't want our kids to ever read that. i want them to -- already i kneel as though i have failed them. you know that's -- and that's my responsibility, you know, that's -- i am at least half of that decision. i have failed to continue to set an example for a secure, loving
9:32pm
family unit as an example for our children. that is the reality of it. there is no way of getting around it. if we continue along this path that we are doing, and we separate, kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. they will be fine and of course we will do our utmost best, utmost best to make sure that we connect with them, that we continue along the same path -- >> are they aware of what's happening? >> yes. >> you'll told them? >> of course we have. >> given everything you've been telling me -- >> we had to tell them. >> from everything you've been telling me in that incredibly powerful way, having to sit down with your kids and tell them that, probably was one of the most difficult thing you have
9:33pm
every had to do in your entire life. >> i can tell you unequivocally that the most difficult thing i have done in my life after heidi and i came to this decision, was to sit down with the kids and try and explain to them that we love them very much and that we are very -- we still love each other. but that, you know, i will be -- things will be different. but the difficult thing was knowing that this institution of marriage and this thing that both of us have held in such high regard, and this magical mystery tour that we have been on for the last eight years was about to take a very serious
9:34pm
dynamic change. and i'm sure our children will be okay. i will emphasize that because both heidi and myself, we are, if nothing else, we are great friends who love each other and we are not the type of people who will ever quarrel in front of them, we will never let them see an ugly side of either of us. we are not those kind of people. >> let's take a break and talk about this album. you couldn'ting be more appropriate or inappropriate. "let's stay together" "what's going on" "love won't let me wait," "lean on me."
9:35pm
♪ there used to be a great time there alone on the sea ♪ can spa. and when it does, men with erectile dysfunction can be more confident in their ability to be ready with cialis for daily use. cialis for daily use is a clinically proven low-dose tablet you take every day so you can be ready anytime the moment's right, even if it's not every day. [ man ] tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity. don't take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. [ man ] do not drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than 4 hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, stop taking cialis and call your doctor right away. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if cialis for daily use is right for you. for a 30-tablet free trial offer,
9:36pm
go to cialis.com. for a 30-tablet free trial offer, vacations are always wasn'ta good ideaa ♪ priceline negoti - - no time. out quickly. you're miles from your destination. you'll need a hotel tonight we don't have time to bid you don't have to bid. at priceline you can choose from thousands of hotels on sale every day. save yourself... some money [ male announcer ] red lobster's four course seafood feast is back. get soup, salad, cheddar bay biscuits, dessert and choose one of 7 entrees. four courses for only $15. offer ends soon. i'm jody gonzalez, red lobster manager and i sea food differently. when it comes to home insurance, surprises can be a little scary. and a little costly. that's why the best agents present their clients with a lot of options. because when it comes to what's covered and what's not, nobody likes surprises.
9:37pm
[ click ] [ chuckles ] we totally thought -- [ all scream ] obscure space junk falling from the sky? we cover that. moving on. aah, aah, aah, aah. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪
9:38pm
♪ let's be together ♪ i want you weather times are good or bad happy or sad ♪ >> "let's stay together," on your newest album.
9:39pm
>> i'm sure you saw that clip of president obama. >> how good was he? >> i heard him sing that and i thought, god, it's a good job he didn't cover that, because i honestly thought, and this is not false modesty. i wasn't aware that he had such great tone in his voice. i thought he was really great. >> imagine the pressure on him, he's got his aides saying, president obama, this is not a good idea, to sing in public, with youtube and everything, you will sink. >> what do you think about a black president against all the odds, it was just so exciting.
9:40pm
how is he doing? what is the reality check about barack obama? >> you mentioned black president and it's funny that because, you know, his mother's white and his father's very black, as i understand it. almost as black as me. but, you know, of course, such is the nature of this country. he's not white, he's not snow white and therefore he must be black. i never say that to the three of our -- i never say that to any of our kids, we just say that they're black, they're this beautiful mix. but the great thing about this country is that that can happen and it's one of, if not the only country in the world where you can go from such a -- this country can take such a paradime
9:41pm
shift going from a bush administration, hard right, right, to in a post-9/11 era, somebody by the name of a kind of, for all intents and purposes, black man by the name of barack obama. that is the great thing about america, i think it's the greatest country in the world. but i'll say the same thing now as i said back then, to answer your question. what this country was in need of was not a great president, this country was in need of a great leader. and he has never waneded. not one single bit. >> let's end on a positive note. if you're reading the titles on the songs on this album, it is a lament for a man to be going through this terrible love split.
9:42pm
did you have any idea that was going to play out at all? >> i have always strived to do something different, because my first loyalty is to music. i love our industry, i love the song, i love the voice. not necessarily my voice. >> it's all about, seal, tormented love. you get the irony of this? >> that probably gives you insight to who i am as a person. >> when you put this together, was it anything to do with what was happening with your life at that moment? >> no. >> total coincidence? >> i wasn't the only person who picked those songs.
9:43pm
in actual fact, trevor picked a lot of them. you never know how you come across to some people. i mean people have always said, you know, there's a line, there's comfort in melancholy. and people have said for as long as i can remember and the songs that i sing, although they are ultimately optimistic, there is a sense of melancholy about them. maybe i carry that, in some kind of round about way could be -- have had some influence. >> this is has been a great interview, and i wish you all the best for you and your kids and all of you. i'm sad, but i appreciate your candor today in talking to me about this. best of luck. >> thank you. >> the new album is a terrific album and it's on sale right now.
9:44pm
coming up next, the marriage between jfk jr. and his wife carolyn. americans are always ready to work hard for a better future. since ameriprise financial was founded back in 1894, they've been committed to putting clients first.
9:45pm
helping generations through tough times. good times. never taking a bailout. there when you need them. helping millions of americans over the centuries. the strength of a global financial leader. the heart of a one-to-one relationship. together for your future. ♪ together for your future. what's he looking for? i think he's looking for savings. ♪ i can't watch this anymore. stop! there's an easier way! we compare your progressive direct rate to other top companies so you get a great price. no more running around. ha ha ha! wouldn't you love to see the world through his eyes? i bet i look like the strongest man in the world. the best place to find a great deal. now, that's progressive. call or click today.
9:46pm
but my nose is still runny. [ male announcer ] truth is, dayquil doesn't treat that. really? [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus fights your worst cold symptoms, plus it relieves your runny nose. [ deep breath ] awesome. [ male announcer ] yes, it is. that's the cold truth! that's how it is with alzheimer's disease. she needs help from me. and her medication. the exelon patch -- it releases medication continuously for twenty-four hours. she uses one exelon patch daily for the treatment of mild to moderate alzheimer's symptoms. [ female announcer ] it cannot change the course of the disease. hospitalization and rarely death have been reported in patients who wore more than one patch at a time. the most common side effects of exelon patch are nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. the likelihood and severity of these side effects may increase as the dose increases. patients may experience loss of appetite or weight. patients who weigh less than 110 pounds may experience more side effects.
9:47pm
people at risk for stomach ulcers who take certain other medicines should talk to their doctor because serious stomach problems such as bleeding may worsen. people with certain heart conditions may experience slow heart rate. [ woman ] whenever i needed her, she was there for me. now i'm here for her. [ female announcer ] ask the doctor about your loved one trying the exelon patch. visit exelonpatch.com to learn more. will be giving away passafree copies visit exelonpatch.com of the alcoholism & addiction cure. to get yours, go to ssagesmalibubook.com. the kennedy family is the closest thing to american royalty. the prince was john f. kennedy. from his salute during his father's funeral--a memoir of
9:48pm
life, love and loss. rosemary joins me now. it's a very personal book, very moving. >> yeah, it is. >> in many places. >> yeah. >> tell me why you decided after all this time to write it? >> i had done an interview, a tv interview in 2009 about john's charity reaching out. it was the 20-year anniversary and i had been approached to do an article about it and i difficult and i started getting approached about the possibilities of telling the story of how we met, the girl from the bronx and the whole sort of mismatched friendship we developed. >> the passage where you hear of his death is particularly moving, you can't believe it, you refuse to believe it. people are saying how sorry they are, but you're determined somehow for it not to be true.
9:49pm
obviously for the world it was a huge shock, for you personally, an incredible blow. >> it was devastating because it wasn't just about -- i mean, it wasn't just about losing your boss or your job. it was about losing two people, three people actually that i was very close to and i had a very close friendship with. and i think because i always felt that john was sort of my protector, my sort of older brother, it was frightening in a way. it was frightening to think of what it would be like without him. >> i know these sort of unsavory details about the funeral where people are still jostling for a good position and all that kind of thing. what did that tell you about the nature of -- i don't know, modern celebrity, modern politics that people would stoop so low?
9:50pm
>> i think people have this desire to feel very close to john, because there were so many people who were vying for attention from him, that i think it was important. he was important to enough people that they just really wanted to feel close to him. and they wanted to feel like they knew him really well. >> john and carolyn, they began dating during the time you were working for them. so you had a unique opportunity to watch that relationship unfold. is mythology is that she found it hard to be part of the public gaze. how was their relationship as you saw it develop? >> as i saw it develop, they sorted started out. i had a very close friendship with.
9:51pm
>> did she find it tough, do you think, being in the public gaze? >> nshlly, i think it was very difficult because it was -- once they got married, it somehow amped up the attention amped up and the paparazzi became, you know, more vigilant. and i think that was surprising to her. because when they were dating, it was kind of doable. it was kind of bearable. it was sometimes even amusing to her. but for some reason, once they got married, it really got worse. >> let's have a little break and come back and talk about politics and how you think the john f. kennedy jr. story would have developed if he stayed alive, what he would be doing now.
9:52pm
[ indistinct conversations ] [ hissing ] agents, what did we learn here today? that lint balls are extremely flammable! well, yeah. and that 15,000 dryer fires happen every year! that's why it's important to regularly clean and inspect your vents! correct. where did you get that?! i built it. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪ when we were determined to see it through. here's an update on the progress. we're paying for all spill related clean-up costs. bp findings supports independent scientists
9:53pm
studying the gulf's environment. thousands of environmental samples have been tested and all beaches and waters are open. and the tourists are back. i was born here, i'm still here and so is bp. not financially. so we switched to the bargain detergent but i found myself using three times more than you're supposed to and the clothes still weren't as clean as with tide. so we're back to tide. they're cuter in clean clothes. thanks, honey. yeah. you suck at folding. [ laughs ] [ female announcer ] just one dose of tide original liquid helps remove food stains better than an entire 40 load bottle of the leading liquid bargain brand. that's my tide. what's yours?
9:54pm
>> i was literally sitting in my trailer at the office and i was looking at the cn website and they had this cnn heroes. i think it was the first year. aaron jackson grew up on a golf course. didn't have much direction in his life. and then he went traveling in the third world and he saw poverty. he decided to devote his life to making the world a better place. >> today we dewormed an estimated of maybe a little over 100 people. >> it's been great to help out aaron jackson and planting peace by doing some fundraisers and just help his organization really get moving. >> thief our or five orphanages in haiti. i also went out when they delivered the deworming medication to the rural towns. you're distributing food, aid,
9:55pm
all around the country. so many kids can be eating their fill, but because they're so filled with worms they're unable to digest and process that food so it's really a waste. >> you see a kid that's highly anemic, not alert at all, and once you rid them of worms, they come back to life. you see an immediate impact. sin the heroes segment in 2007, we've raised enough money with rainn's help to deworm all children in haiti, all 1.2 million kids. >> it inspired me to step up my game and try and do more to help the world.
9:56pm
9:57pm
an intense search is under way off the coast of long island as there are reports no uh that the private plane apparently in which john f. kennedy jr. was flying, perhaps even piloting has gone missing >> his plane crashed in 1999. his personal assistant is back with me now. you had an awful task of having to plan the funeral with caroline kennedy. tell me about that.
9:58pm
>> it was -- uh yo know, it was a time when i had to behave as if he were still there, my job was continuing in a way. even though it was awful and a dreadful situation, i felt a duty to him to keep going and to help his sister and do what i would do if he were still there. >> have you stayed in touch with the family at all? >> i stay in touch with caroline at times. it's nice to see her. we don't stay in touch on a regular basis, but when i do see her, it's really pleasant. do you know how they felt about the book? >> no, i don't. i didn't put it out there for anybody, not even my sisters. i felt if i had too many eyes on it, it would change and i'm proud how it turned out.
9:59pm
>> he was on a real fast track. everybody had great hopes for him, which were all snuffed away. what do you think he would have been doing? >> he certainly talked about running for office at some point, but i know that he was enthusiastic and excited and wanted "george" magazine to succeed before he went on to his next venture. politicians are now celebrities. so i think it was an idea that was ahead of its time. >> what will your lasting memory be of him? >> the legacy he left which is, unfortunately, "george." what i learned from him, all the amaze things i learned from him, you know, about manner, about people, about media and he was a